Seaton Village is a centrally located family oriented neighbourhood. Remarkably, this neighbourhood has managed to maintain the feel of a small town village, even though it is situated in a busy part of the city.
The focal point of this neighbourhood is Vermont Square. This city park is the home of the St. Alban’s Boys’ and Girls’ Club, a community agency that offers children and families a variety of social and recreational programs.
History of Seaton Village
Seaton Village was originally settled by Colonel David Shank and Captain Samuel Smith. Both men were loyalists who served under John Graves Simcoe in the Queens Rangers. In the early 1800’s, the Shank and Smith farm lots were acquired by George Crookshank.
The Crookshank estate began at the foot of Bathurst Street where it overlooked the lake. A laneway from the Crookshank house ran north to his country farm, where Seaton Village is today. The Crookshank laneway is now part of Bathurst Street.
Seaton Village is named after Lord Seaton, a former Lieutenant Governor of Canada. The Village was laid out on the old Crookshank farm in the 1850’s. However, residential development of the present day neighbourhood did not commence until around 1888, when Seaton Village was annexed by the City of Toronto.