The Dovercourt Park neighbourhood is conveniently located close to the centre of the city of Toronto. Its residents are mostly low to moderate income families from many different cultural backgrounds.
A focal point in this neighbourhood is the Dovercourt Boys and Girls Club. Their clubhouse, located at Dovercourt Park, is open year round and offers a myriad of social and recreational programs for neighbourhood children.
History of Dovercourt Park
The Dovercourt Park neighbourhood began as the Village of Dovercourt back in the 1870’s. Dovercourt’s first residents were poor immigrants that came to Canada from England.
By 1884, there were a few dozen houses scattered throughout Dovercourt. These first houses were one and two bedroom, tar and paper shacks, which would eventually earn Dovercourt the unflattering nickname “Shantytown”.
Better days were just around the corner however, as the City of Toronto annexed the Village of Dovercourt in 1910. Annexation brought proper city services to Dovercourt which in turn helped to stimulate the growth of this neighbourhood. Dovercourt Park was fully developed by 1923.