Brockton Village is a quiet, unassuming neighbourhood in west downtown Toronto. Historical street signs along Dundas Street mark the entrance way to the commercial centre of the neighbourhood.
Brockton Village has a large Portuguese community. The influence of this community can be seen in Brockton’s shopping districts and in the brightly painted homes in the neighbourhood.
History of Brockton
The Village of Brockton was likely named after Captain James Brock, who held a large parcel of land in this area in the early 1800’s. Captain Brock was a cousin of Sir Issac Brock, a Canadian war hero who fought in the War of 1812.
Brockton was initially settled in the 1840’s by Irish immigrants. These first settlers found employment in Brockton’s two rope making factories. They also cultivated their land and tended to their livestock as a source of income.
In 1881, Brockton was incorporated as a village. However, only three years after it’s incorporation Brockton had accumulated a large debt. Brockton’s financial troubles led the residents of the village to vote in favour of amalgamation with the City of Toronto. This merger became official on March 25th, 1884.
Ed Note: The Village of Brockton Town Hall, built in 1882, is still standing on the south-west corner of Dundas Street and Brock Avenue. This historic building is now being used as a retail store.